Thursday, September 8, 2011

Interview : Chong - askchong.com


  1.  Tell us a bit about your childhood and how it affects your today's practice on personal finance ?
Nothing special and I don't remember most of my childhood time, like lost of memory.
  1. Answer this question without checking or asking for references : If you can remember, what is your Zodiac and Astrology signs ?
No need to check with anything or anyone. Born in year of Dragon and my star is Sagittarius.
  1. What are the things you like to do during your free time, ie. your hobbies ? And what do you most dislike about ?
Computer related, now extended to smart phones and iPad or surf the web for information regarding latest technology and investment in share.

I don't have anything specifically "dislike" but if any... would be "in a pub full of second hand smoke" and disturbing noise. I also don't like to waste money.
  1. What is your favorite colors and numbers ? Any most dislikes ?
 Blue. I have no favorite "Numbers"... Emm... dislike? No.
  1. What is your favorite food ? What do you hate most ?
Nothing in particular. I can eat bread from morning to night. Nothing specifically favorite but if I don't know what to eat in a restaurant, perhaps I will just order "Nasi Lemak" if they do serve. As income improve over last few years, the quality matters instead of what type of food.

I hate nothing but I will say North India food is considered an acquired-taste.
  1. If you can meet a person dead or alive, who would that be ? What would you ask him ?
Never come across my mind, yet.
  1. What is the best and worst feeling you have ever had ?
 Best feeling is not about spending money but watching it grows. Beside money, best feeling is watching my children grow, enjoy their laugh and naughtiness.

Worst feeling... ha ha... quarrel with wife. On monetary side, losing money on share investment.
  1. What is the last thing you do before go to sleep ?
Normally.... not watching movie, not music but work. I have few side income jobs so most of the time I will do my work. That is the good thing about freelance. I can work at home at the best time available for me, including before go to sleep.
  1. What is the first thing you do when you wake up ?
 Now, probably read email and some news, not local news but business news.
  1. If you were to build a personal finance portfolio for a young man who has similar life path as yours, what will it be ?
Building a portfolio means how to spend the money earned or acquired. First thing is to buy insurance and next is to invest and reinvest.

What to invest is entirely depends on the knowledge and risk appetite.
  1. You met someone in a social party, describe what you do in 2 to 3 sentences.
The problem I am facing now is the multi-hats I am wearing now. For certain people, I will say "Hi, my name is Chong Kong Hui, I am Chartered Accountant by profession now working in a listed company".

For my own career, "Hi, my name is Chong Kong Hui, I am Accoutant by profession and now providing financial service and solution for individual and SME"
  1. If you are not doing what you are doing now, what would you be doing ?
Wow, I just can't imagine that.
  1. How much time do you spend on your personal finance blog ?
Not much time. Probably few hours within a month only.
  1. What is the main objective of your blog, is it initially profit oriented and who are your targeted blog readers ?
Even I put in some advertisement but the initial purpose of this blog is to share the information and to support my own career in financial service as well as to improve my knowledge.

Nothing great about income from the blog and not worth to mention.

I don't have specific marketing or target group of readers but I believe anyone who have an interest in personal finance may "find" my blog from the search engine.
  1. What is the biggest achievement your blog so far ?
Huh hah... i do not regard having any sort of achievement so far but gladful the monthly hit stay above 1,000 for past few months.
  1. Tell us one URL other than your own that your readers should read about ?
There are more than one I would recommend but it depends on the reader's specific interest at that time of reading. The few I like already linked within my blog.
  1. How many more years do you think your blog will exist for and how do you plan to finance your blog forever if planned to at all ?
I noticed some blog almost ceased to be active after a while..... as my blog is intertwine with my career and my personal interest.... i believe it will exist for a long time and the best thing for me is if anyone would like to be the co-author or to do some guest-post.

My blog cost me almost nothing beside the USD10 for the domain name and my free time. Therefore, I do not foresee any requirement to get paid for dong it. Advertisement revenue, if anything better than RM10 a month will be a BIG BIG bonus.
  1. The world is big, many people have different point of views and emotions. If you met someone who called you geek, liar, cheaters because you yourself didn't do what you preach, how would you handle them ?
If it ever happens... things get changed along the time. I do believe it last year doesn't mean I will continue to believe it now. Life goes on....
  1. What do you think about these interview questions and how this interview session can be improved ?
I am not an expert in designing questions other than those lead to a close (closing sale). Question is, what is your objective or data to be collected? May be the book "the Millionaire next door"  can give you hints.
  1. Would you be interested to meet other finance bloggers in person ? If yes
  • Do you smoke ? NO
  • Do you drink liquor socially ? NO, beer is ok.
  • Are you a coffee lover ? YES
  • Where do you stay and work ? ( Country, State, Region etc.) Sg Buloh... I am ok with KL/PJ